Agree or disagree??

Please give us your attention! Our views on many varied topics are insightful and worthy of your consideration. We take many positions and have reasonable and logical reasons for you to consider. You won't be sorry as a follower to our daily posts on topics we have a lot of energy around. Remain open-minded, read our positions and reasons, and make up your own minds.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

                                                             Better School Lunches?



      I sign up for hot lunch on a weekday morning in my classroom. They say that it is baked ziti, bread wedge, salad bar, fruit and milk. Yum! As twelve o’clock nears and my stomach grumbles. So when we enter the gym, I am extremely hungry and looking forward to my meal. I step up to the window and the give me a small tub of lumpy sauce and some tough noodles and the salad bar contains lettuce, cucumbers, peaches that were almost gone, and a couple other things. It definitely disappoints me that our school doesn’t have good lunches.


    Some say that we should be thankful that we even have the option of hot lunch, and I am, but I still think that they should put in some more effort into healthier lunches. Our lunch ladies try hard and I am not accusing them doing a bad job. I just think we should be able to eat organic foods that don’t have chemicals and taste fresh and delicious. My  family gets organic food and I can definitely tell the  difference.


       I believe also that if we had better food, the school would make more money, which is something that we definitely need. Lately, i’ve been thinking that the reason we are getting small and cheap lunches is because fewer kids are purchasing their lunches. We are charged $2.25 per lunch; every year the fee rises more and more. If we were supporting local farming groups, then maybe we could negotiate and even get a good deal with them. I also think that we could support the community and give a little bit to everyone. It could serve educational purposes. We could learn a little bit more about where our food comes from. 


    Before I would like to end my story, I would like to say that I really do think that the school’s lunch ladies are extremely hard-working. I think that the school wants us to grow up with an experience that we will remember. A nice experience I could remember could be missing Hancock for the lunches and field trips. 






2 comments:

  1. I've never had organic food but i'll try it. I thought your article had a very good point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about when you said that we lumpy sauce and tough noodles for lunch. Though we also get seconds for lunch so we do get more than just a morsel. I also agree with having good food that is good FOR you too.

    ReplyDelete