Agree or disagree??

Please give us your attention! Our views on many varied topics are insightful and worthy of your consideration. We take many positions and have reasonable and logical reasons for you to consider. You won't be sorry as a follower to our daily posts on topics we have a lot of energy around. Remain open-minded, read our positions and reasons, and make up your own minds.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Book Inspection

Whenever I’m walking through a bookstore trying to pick out a good book, I don’t really think about how I do so. But I have to have some sort of method for choosing a book. And after I thought about it for awhile, I realized I do.
I’m sorry to say that, I do judge a book by its cover. If it doesn’t catch my eye, then I’m not going to get it. Unless someone recommends it for me. So if the book does catch my eye, I’ll pick it up. I’ll inspect the back cover. Read it. Then I open to book to the first page. Usually I’ll let my eyes wander around the page without letting them actually read it. Then I’ll start to read the first page. If I don’t like they way the book sounds by the first page, I put it back. But, if I like the way the author speaks and uses words. Then I get it.
So when I read the first page, it has to be a specific way of writing. I can’t really explain it. The way the author writes has to be as though their not only writing the story, but actually writing the story for me exclusively to read. I want them to talk to me, not just tell me a story using spice less words. I don’t know about you, but when I’m reading a story where the author uses the same boring words over and over again! I want to just collapse on my book, because I have become so saturated in boredom. So when the writer uses words with some ZING. Or words that jump out at me, and make me think “Wow, thats a really cool word! I think I’m going to start using it!”.
So if the book passes my inspection of it. I usually get it. But, if I start to read it and it gets boring. Then I usually don’t and say I did, meaning I don’t read the book but say that I did. If it doesn’t get boring and I love it, then I’ll definitely recommend it!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your view on "ZING"-y word choices. I value the style of the language in my book. If I am reading "The cat is dumb. The cat is my cat. He is angry, and not to mention fat. I have to walk to the store, goodbye." OHHH BABY YEAH, that's what I call good story lovin'

    ...Just kidding. I like stories that potentially inspire me and shift my perspective and character. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like books that are kind of easy, not books like the romance novels my mom reads.
    Kira

    ReplyDelete